Living in the Ruhr region
Living in the Ruhr region means enjoying diversity and variety. As the third-largest metropolitan region in Europe after Paris and London the region has something to suit every taste - and in every field: art and culture, leisure and sport, urban environments and nature.
The Ruhr region as cultural metropolis
The art and culture, in particular, reflects the variety and diversity of the region. Not for nothing was the Metropole Ruhr the European Capital of Culture in 2010. Major cultural events such as the Ruhr Triennale or the KlavierFestivalRuhr are renowned beyond the borders of the region. The industrial culture of the mining and steel era exercises a particular fascination on both visitors and inhabitants. The Zeche Zollverein colliery in Essen is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site as the "finest colliery in the world".
Events, shopping and excursions in the countryside
One thing is certain: it is never boring in the Metropole Ruhr. The range of events, shopping options or excursions into the countryside is unlimited in the Ruhr region. Major events such as the "ExtraSchicht", which places the spotlight on the industrial monuments of the region, or the Cranger Kirmes, one of the largest fairs in Germany, are as popular with the people in the Ruhr region as wonderful walks through green parks and woods or long cycle tours along the well-developed network of cycling and hiking trails that lead alongside the Ruhr.
Below you will find key information, addresses and tips relating to life in the Ruhr region:
The Metropole Ruhr offers a wide range of cultural, leisure and sporting activities. On the pages of the metropoleruhr information portal you can find a wealth of information, addresses, tips and dates regarding this.
Integration courses are offered in many towns and cities in the Ruhr region. Here you can learn German or improve existing German skills. In addition, you can also find out a great deal about Germany, the Ruhr region, traditions and everyday life. You also have the opportunity to make contacts and get to know other people.
- Integration courses and centres according to towns and cities:
- You can search for integration courses in your town or city on the online portal of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.
- Mülheim an der Ruhr
- Kreis Recklinghausen
- Kreis Unna
- Kreis Wesel
- Special Service for italien citizens:
- Special Service for finnish citizens:
- Special Service for albanian citizens:
- Special Service for turkish citizens:
- Special Service for chinese citizens:
- Special Service for filipinian citizen:
The Ruhr region has a well-developed network of public transport. Bus and rail, hired bikes or car sharing - moving from city to city is fast and uncomplicated in the Metropole Ruhr. Below you will find information on various forms of transport, the transport association and barrier-free mobility in the Ruhr region.
Below you will find links to important information regarding life in Germany - from health insurance to opening a bank account.
- Further information can be found in the online guide issued by the German government, "Make it in Germany":
- The websites of the Federal Employment Agency and the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees also contain useful information on life in Germany.