Making your home in the Ruhr region

Where would you prefer to live? In a flat in a vibrant city or in your own house in the quiet countryside? How about living right by the water or in a cool factory-style loft? All of this is possible in the Ruhr region.

Cosy small town or urban flair

As far as housing is concerned, the Ruhr region has something to suit nearly every taste - whether it is modern or traditional, with a cool design or more cosy. The towns of Hattingen and Wetter, for example, offer the comfortable charm of a small town, with timber-framed architecture in a natural setting. In contrast, urban flair is to be found in the cities of the Ruhr region, such as Essen, Dortmund, Bochum, Duisburg or Gelsenkirchen.

Living on the water

Although the Ruhr gives the region its name, it is by no means the only watercourse in the Ruhr region. The Metropole Ruhr has 572 kilometres of canal and river banks – so there is ample space for people who like to live on the water. Whether it is on the Ruhr, Emscher, Lippe, Rhine-Herne Canal, ports or lakes - numerous residential and architectural projects have already been realised here and others are set to follow.

Former industrial buildings transformed into luxurious lofts

Old machinery halls and factories - places where people once toiled are now luxurious homes. Lofts are finding increasing numbers of fans in the lovingly renovated industrial buildings of the Ruhr region. The Dinnendahlsche Fabrik in Essen is one such an example: the old machinery hall dating back to 1820 now houses smart apartments of up to 210 square metres in size, home primarily to young, affluent city dwellers with an eye for modern design.

  • Here you can find further information on housing options in the Ruhr region, tips for housing searches and property platforms on the internet:
  • Property platforms and housing listings on the internet:




  • Tips and advice for a successful housing search:

Making your housing search a successful one
Information and tips on how to start and plan your housing search

Housing tips for students
Information and tips for student halls of residence, shared houses or student flats
10 tips for a quick and successful housing search (only available in German) 

  • Shorttime Housing for the beginning

May be for the start it is more interesting not to sign an unlimited rental agreement but look for short time vacation renatl opportunities.

Vocational Rentals in the Ruhr region
An offer from search engine alloggia

Vocational Rentals in the Ruhr region
An offer from search engine holidu

Vaccational Rentals in the Ruhr region
An offer from search engine hometogo

Vaccational Rentals in the Ruhr region
An offer from search engine bestfewo

Vaccational Rentals in the Ruhr region
An offer from search engine likibu


  • Have you found your dream flat or dream house? Then all you need to do is sign the rental agreement. In Germany this has to be concluded in writing between the landlord and the tenant. The rental agreement usually states the amount for rent without utilities. This is usually joined by supplementary costs for utilities that are transferred to your landlord with the rent.
  • The utility costs incurred vary from rental agreement to rental agreement. Costs for water, heating and electricity are included in the utility costs. But waste disposal or caretaker costs may also be included. It is best to ask your landlord prior to concluding the rental agreement what costs are specifically included in the costs for utilities.


  • Once you have found a home, you will need to register your place of residence. As an EU citizen you can do this at the registration office of your town, citizens of other countries are required to go to the aliens authority that forms part of the registration office or citizens' office.
  • At the latest one week after moving into your home in the Ruhr region you should register with the registration office or citizens' office of the town in which you live. You are required to do this in person, at the respective office. Valid identification is required for registration. In the case of rented accommodation you are also often required to state the name of the landlord or show the rental agreement. On the websites of the towns and cities there is often a list of what you need to bring with you for registration.
  • Here you will find links to the registration offices or citizens' offices in the individual towns and cities of the Ruhr region:




Castrop-Rauxel Datteln




Fröndenberg Gelsenkirchen


HagenHaltern am See



Herne Herten

Holzwickede  Hünxe

Kamen Kamp-Lintfort


 MoersMülheim an der Ruhr

Neukirchen-Vluyn   Oberhausen


District of Recklinghausen


Schwelm  Schwerte

Selm Sonsbeck




District of WeselWetter


  • To obtain your residence title you must usually present yourself in person at the aliens authority or citizens' office for migrants in the town or city in the Ruhr region in which you live. Here you will find the links to the municipal citizens' services of the towns and cities:

Bochum Bottrop

Dortmund Duisburg

Ennepe-Ruhr-Kreis Essen

Gelsenkirchen Hagen

Herne Mülheim an der Ruhr

Oberhausen District of Recklinghausen

District of UnnaDistrict of Wesel